«PowerSchool Parent Portal User Guide PowerSchool Student Information System Released March 2008 Document Owner: Documentation Services This edition ...»
PowerSchool Parent Portal User Guide
Student Information System
Released March 2008
Document Owner: Documentation Services
This edition applies to Release 5.1.3 of the PowerSchool Premier software and to all subsequent
releases and modifications until otherwise indicated in new editions or updates.
The data and names used to illustrate the reports and screen images may include names of
individuals, companies, brands, and products. All of the data and names are fictitious; any similarities to actual names are entirely coincidental.
PowerSchool is a trademark, in the U.S. and/or other countries, of Pearson Education, Inc. or its affiliate(s).
Copyright © 2008 Pearson Education, Inc. or its affiliates. All rights reserved. All trademarks are either owned or licensed by Pearson Education, Inc. or its affiliates. Other brands and names are the property of their respective owners.
PowerSchool Parent Portal User Guide Contents Preface
Log In to PowerSchool Parent Portal
PowerSchool Parent Portal Start Page
Work with the Main Menu
Grades and Attendance
Quit PowerSchool Parent Portal
Log Out of PowerSchool Parent Portal
• This guide uses the symbol to move down a menu path. If instructed to “Click File New Window,” begin by clicking File on the menu bar. Then, click New and Window. The option noted after the symbol will always be on the menu that results from your previous selection.
• It is easy to identify notes because they are indented and prefaced by the text
Audience This information is intended for parents and students who use PowerSchool Parent Portal.
Introduction Welcome to PowerSchool! PowerSchool helps your school access and maintain student, staff, and schedule information. PowerSchool is a database application that runs on a server, which is the center of your student information system. PowerSchool uses the Internet to facilitate student information management and communication among school administrators, teachers, parents, and students.
PowerSchool Parent Portal is a tool that is integrated into the PowerSchool Student Information System (SIS) that is specifically developed for parents and students.
PowerSchool Parent Portal gives parents and students access to real-time information including attendance, grades and detailed assignment descriptions, school bulletins, lunch menus and even personal messages from the teacher. Everyone stays connected: Students stay on top of assignments, parents are able to participate more fully in their student's progress, and teachers can use their gradebook to make decisions on what information they want to share with parents and students.
Get Started To get started, you must log in to PowerSchool Parent Portal.
Log In to PowerSchool Parent Portal Before you can log in to PowerSchool Parent Portal, you will need your school's PowerSchool Parent Portal URL, your username, and your password. If you do not have this information or have questions, contact your school’s PowerSchool administrator.
Note: Do not use someone else’s password or give your password to anyone else.
How to Log In to PowerSchool Parent Portal
1. Open your Web browser to your school's PowerSchool Parent Portal URL. The Log In page appears.
2. Enter your username in the first field.
3. Enter your password in the second field.
4. Click Enter. The PowerSchool Parent Portal start page appears. For more information, see PowerSchool Parent Portal Start Page.
PowerSchool Parent Portal Start Page When you log in to PowerSchool Parent Portal, the start page appears. This page serves as the central point from which you begin your PowerSchool Parent Portal session. The
PowerSchool Parent Portal start page consists of the following main areas:
Navigation Bar The navigation bar appears at the top of the PowerSchool Parent Portal start page, and is common to every page in the application. The navigation bar includes the following
Grades and Click to view student grades and attendance for the current Attendance term. For more information, see Grades and Attendance.
Printer Icon Several pages in PowerSchool Parent Portal display a Printer icon at the bottom of the page. Click this icon and a printer-friendly version of the page displays in a secondary browser window.
Work with the Main Menu Read this section to understand the basics of working with the main menu.
Note: You do not need to complete the activities in any particular order, but you should be familiar with all of them.
Grades and Attendance Use this page to view the grades and attendance for the student in the current term. The legend at the bottom of the page displays the attendance and citizenship codes and their meanings.
How to View Grades and Attendance
1. On the main menu, click Grades and Attendance. The Grades and Attendance page appears.
2. To view attendance data for dropped classes, click Show dropped classes also.
3. To send e-mail to a teacher, click the name of the teacher.
Note: To use this function, your web browser must be properly configured to automatically open an e-mail application, and the e-mail application must be properly configured to send messages.
4. To view grade details, click a grade in the term column. The Class Score Detail page appears.
5. To view assignment details, click a grade in the term column. The Class Score Detail page appears. Click an assignment under the Assignment column. The Assignment Description page appears. Use the browser Back button to return to the Grades and Attendance page.
6. To view the absences or tardies for the selected class during this term, click a number in the Absences or Tardies column. The Dates of Attendance page displays all absences or tardies for that class.
7. To view the absences or tardies for all classes during this term, click a number in the Attendance Totals row. The Dates of Absence or Dates of Tardies page displays all absences or tardies. Use the browser Back button to return to the Grades and Attendance page.
8. In the Attendance by Day section, click a number in the Absences or Tardies column.
Depending on your selection, the Dates of Attendance page displays the total absences or tardies for the semester or for the year-to-date.
Grades History Use this page to view quarter and semester grades for the student for the current term.
How to View Grades History
1. On the main menu, click Grades History. The Grade History page appears.
2. Click a grade in the % column. The Class Score Detail page appears.
A caret (^) indicates score is exempt from final grade. An asterisk (*) indicates an assignment is not included in final grade. The number one (1) indicates this final grade may include assignments that are not yet published by the teacher. It may also be a result of special weighting used by the teacher. Click the special weighting link for more information.
Attendance History Use this page to view the attendance record for the student in the current term. The legend at the bottom of the page displays the attendance codes and their meanings.
How to View Attendance History On the main menu, click Attendance History. The Attendance History page displays the student's attendance record for the current term.
Email Notifications If you wish to receive information about your student's grades, attendance, and assignment scores, use this page to set up your e-mail preferences. You can specify which information you would like to receive, how often you would like to receive the information, and how often you would like to receive e-mail.
How to Set Up Email Notifications
1. On the main menu, click Email Notification. The Email Notifications page appears.
2. Use the following table to enter information in the fields:
3. Click Submit. The Changes Recorded page appears.
Teacher Comments Use this page to view any comments that teachers entered regarding items such as the student's achievement or behavior.
How to View Teacher Comments
1. On the main menu, click Teacher Comments. The Teacher Comments page appears.
2. To open an e-mail message to send to a teacher, click the teacher's name.
Note: To use the e-mail function, your Web browser must be properly configured to automatically open an e-mail application, and the e-mail application must be properly configured to send e-mail messages.
School Bulletins Use this page to view daily school announcements.
How to View School Bulletins
1. On the main menu, click School Bulletin. The School Bulletin page displays any messages for the current day.
2. To view another day’s bulletin, click a date link at the bottom of the page.
Class Registration Use this page to request classes for the next year and to view any existing course requests.
How to Register for Classes
1. On the main menu, click Class Registration. The Class Registration page appears.
2. Select the courses that you want to request for the next enrollment period from the pop-up menus.
3. Click Submit. The Future Course Requests page appears.
How to View Course Requests
1. On the main menu, click Class Registration. The Class Registration page appears.
2. Click View future course requests. The Future Course Requests page displays existing course requests.
Balances Use this page to view lunch balance and fee transaction information for the selected student.
Note: If you are not able to access this page, contact your school for balance information.
How to View Balances On main menu, click Balances. The Balances page appears. The Meal Transaction section displays the student's current lunch balance and each transaction line item.
My Calendars My Calendar, a personal calendar application, is a tool to help parents and students stay on top of daily events and better manage their time. Using My Calendar, you can subscribe to and receive homework and school event information in the form of a calendar on your
desktop computer. With My Calendar, you can:
• Subscribe to calendars to keep up with homework assignments, grades, school events, and more.
• View more than one calendar at a time from within a single unified window to quickly identify schedule conflicts and pockets of free time.
• Keep your priorities straight with a built-in To Do list.
IMPORTANT: In order to use My Calendar, you must first have iCal installed on your computer. You will need Mac OS X version 10.2.3 or later to use iCal. iCal is available as a free download. For more information, visit the Apple Inc. Web site at www.apple.com/ical.
How to Subscribe to Calendars
1. On main menu, click My Calendars. The My Calendars page appears.
2. Click Subscribe in the Class Assignments Only column to receive the class assignments calendar. The iCal application opens, and the Subscribe to field automatically displays the calendar URL.
3. Click Subscribe. The Subscribing to calendar name page appears.
4. Use the following table to enter information in the applicable fields:
5. Click Subscribe in the Class Assignments With My Scores and Final Grades column. The iCal application opens, and the Subscribe to field automatically displays the calendar URL.
6. Click Subscribe. The Authentication page appears.
7. Enter your PowerSchool Parent Portal username and password. Click OK. The Subscribe to calendar name page appears. See Steps 4 and 5 for additional information.
How to View My Calendars in iCal Each of the calendars you subscribe to appear in the Calendars section of iCal. Note the colored checkbox next to each calendar. If the checkbox next to a calendar is selected, the information contained within that calendar displays within the calendar view as the color of the checkbox.
To view information about an item in the calendar view, click the item and information about the item appears in the Info drawer. If you have subscribed to any of the homework calendars, outstanding assignments appear as items on your student's To Do by Priority list. Click any of the items to view information about that item in the Info drawer.
Quit PowerSchool Parent Portal When finished working in PowerSchool Parent Portal, it is important to log out of the application.
Log Out of PowerSchool Parent Portal You can log out of PowerSchool Parent Portal from any page in the application.
Note: If you are not actively working in PowerSchool Parent Portal, your session may timeout. If so, you need to log in again.
How to Log Out of PowerSchool Parent Portal Click Logout in the navigation bar. The Log In page appears. You must enter your username and password again to redisplay the PowerSchool Parent Portal start page.